Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sisters (and Happy Birthday Stacey)



My sister-in-law is going to dethrone Martha Stewart someday very soon.  Probably in a very mannerly way and by method of vanilla bean frosting, creme fraiche, or home-grown poultry. Or it might happen over Christmas tree ornaments or the Thanksgiving banner. But, believe me, it will happen.  And when it does, I'm certainly hoping Stacey first teaches me how to construct a proper pie crust and secondly allows me to at least glance at the stock options for SDN (the Stacey Doxford Network.  I mean, come on, we all watch OWN).


Stacey V. Doxford--the next Martha Stewart
In all honesty, at least a MILLION times a day I read something, see something, eat something, or hear something that makes me think of my sisters.  Whether that's my sister by flesh (you've been stuck with me forever whether you like it or not) Lindsay Ann, and my sisters by law (who are really just sisters, but at least I've had the opportunity to mature into my mid-twenties before becoming related). And then there are those sisters who are yours by friendship--the ones that know your worst fears and weaknesses, have seen you at your absolute lowest of lows (having seen snot drip down your nose and face and loved you through it all and still the same). Though I no longer have a treehouse to turn into a girl's only club, I still believe this is an incredibly honored association. I mean, GALLONS of Ben and Jerry's have been devoured in the name of sisterhood, right?

I assure you I'm incredibly blessed when it comes to my sisters.  These friendships are incredibly easy and natural  to think about, though I feel so far away from my family and many of my longtime dear friends here on the east coast (don't get me wrong, I do love living in NYC).  At the same time, there is a sort of pleasure (or perhaps nostalgia?) that comes from attaching experience with memory.  Perhaps what I mean to say is that I love to walk into a pristine bakery and think of Stacey, or watch the carriages in Central Park and think of Ashlyn.  More times than I should admit over the holiday break I ordered food in (um, cinnastix!) while watching Gilmore (which always reminds me of the comforts of being with Char).  Similarly, I always pass by the most beautiful elementary school in our area which sits next to a market and a floral shop.  When I walk by and see  the parents and nannies coming to pick their children up after school it reminds me of Char and the hard work she puts into her own job.  And finally, every time I walk by the visual arts museum on campus and see the gorgeous oils on display (well, currently on display) I think of Linnie.  Something about the art students bustling in and out of their studios (with coffee perched on top of their easel boards, talking on their cell phones...which, in Linds'  case would be replaced with diet coke or perhaps propel) makes me miss her.  I can't wait until you, dearest Lindsay, are just a train ride away.
Ashlyn Doxford


I am grateful for sisters!  And today, when I belatedly wish Stacey a happy birthday, I am going to go to the most lovely, beautiful, and delicious bakery I can think of and have a cupcake in celebration of her.  Then, I am going to think about the day in the not so distant future (after Stace has finished her run as PTA Pres.--all things in their time) when she, Oprah, and Nate Berkus make a super channel and Oprah declares it her most favorite thing of ALL time.  (and when that day happens, I will get the Cake Boss to make a concoction the size of Manhattan...just you wait!) Happy Birthday Stacey!
Lindsay Ann and Charlotte

Char (and Jeff)

No comments:

Post a Comment