Monday, January 10, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake (or Fondue!)

It is no secret that Dox and I struggled in our cross-country move.  Specifically, we had difficulties in getting our physical possessions to follow us to our new home in the big city.  Each night, we whipped up macaroni and cheese in our lone pan, stared forlornly at our sad blow up mattress accommodations, and called our moving company (they who shall not be named, though pictured below) to provide a little mood music (the tunes from HOURS spent on hold were the closest we got to Pandora or an ipod dock for weeks, my friends!)  It was that pathetic…
(Dox took this picture of our apartment after our stuff failed to arrive on "moving day")

Yet, hope prevailed.  After a month roughing it (one can only eat so much peanut butter and Indian takeout), our stuff arrived.  In a single day, Dox put together furniture and organized the entire apartment after working 19 hours at the office.  I, however, spent a leisurely day concentrating on the finer details.  Like color-coding the books in our bookcase and arranging our set of cake stands and fondue pots just so (yes, I am that girl— guilty of selling my couch but shipping a set of cake stands across the country.  Priorities!)

Last weekend, however, we stumbled into heaven; a place that would have made our month of camping in the Big Apple entirely doable. A restaurant so divine I would have NEVER noticed the absence of my fondue pot in the month of Kraft after Kraft.  The kind of establishment that makes chocolate so rich you want to spend the rest of time attempting to find the “back of the shampoo bottle” type words to describe it.  Indeed, I am talking about Max Brenner Chocolate.
(photo credit: Miss Erica and her iphone)

In fact, this whole weekend was fairly horrendous for that whole New Year, new health philosophy.  After swimming in chocolate on Friday and being a party of four eating for eight in Chinatown on Saturday, I resolved to eat something healthy on Sunday. At some point, however, I gave up and put the cake stands to good use! 

Thank you (moving company that will not be named) for making sure that our most prized possessions were shipped to our new lil’ abode.  We missed them (and were sadly naïve as to the delights of MBC until now).
(Dox moving electrical wires with a broom in order to help our moving company make their way down the street...alas, a sign of the good things to come! You and your creepy t-shirt make them look good, husband.)

p.s. em, you asked as to blogspiration.  I think it had been percolating for a while?  And, let’s be honest, I REALLY love to be able to read your lovely thoughts via blog (as well as those of our friends). So, even if it is kind of random, why not?  Besides, my dad promised me over Christmas (in the Belaggio--  thus, it is the Belaggio Contract) that he would guest post on our doxieblog one of these days…

p.s.s [For those of you who have kindly asked about making comments, forgive me.  I am so technologically advanced (ha!), that I haven’t figured out the comments thing quite yet.  I believe if you click on the “comments” link next to the pencil, it should take you to a comments page.  I will keep working on it]. 

1 comment: