Thursday, January 27, 2011

Here we go again!

Spring semester started this week!  No more winter break.  No more hulu.  No more breakfast at noon and writing papers just for pure love of the game. Alas, alack, it’s back to bleeding violet, my friends.  So just in case you hadn’t heard, Christmas vacation is officially over.  Dox has been trying to tell me for weeks, but I had little interest in commiserating its departure. 
(19 University Place, New York University--This is a cell phone picture of where we spend our days reading or writing)
Remember the days of elementary school?  When one might celebrate the new school year or a fresh term with an especially flattering pair of Guess or Girbaud jeans (nicely zipped at the ankles) or a Hypercolor sweatshirt (“but mums, it’s pink and purple!”).  Ironically, I might consider everything I wore in elementary school to be right on trend for the current set of intellectual fashionistas a la Greenwich Village these days (technically, I was more like baby Rainbow Brite to the Manhattan black—the sentiment remains the same).  Regardless, I just can’t seem to revamp the style the way others can.  Sometimes I see women (and men--regular “Ducky 2.0’s”) who do Tiffany, Debbie, and The Bangles just right.  And secretly, it makes me wonder if Anna Wintour is in her office at Vogue demanding her assistant to crimp her hair.

(Washington Square Park, New York University, www.nyu.edu)
At any rate, before I start digging through old, musty boxes for Girbaud jeans and a slap-it bracelet, I have to stop and be grateful for this past week at school.  I love being a graduate student, especially at NYU.  I am particularly grateful for the brilliant minds that are both my peers and professors.  And, I am grateful to be back on-campus for its nearness to the best cupcakes and Thai food (minus the tuna, right Nad?!!!), best school friends (seriously, I love these girls!), and endless hours back to reading ditties such as the one pictured below.  My mind bloweth.  And, let's be honest. The last time I took a classics course was with a professor who wore nothing but a purple turtleneck ALL SEMESTER LONG!  Sadly, I grew more interested in his fashion choices than in his vast understanding of the cradles of civilization.  Hopefully, my lovely new class (sans turtlenecks) shall fare better…
"The Golden Ass" by Apuleis









1 comment: