Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Recapitulation (and choosing paint with a color-blind husband)

I love New York City when it snows! Especially when I can watch it from a window inside my cozy apartment and do not have to sludge away at freezing temperatures and icy sidewalks down in the trenches.   So today, as pretty snowflakes fall outside and the city transforms into a sparkling picture, I’ve decided to write a little “thankful” list about this week.  For example:

·      Thank you, my nearest and dearest Melissa Suzanne, for introducing me to the delights of Ruby. Seriously, I had no clue that “Jeff, you need prayer!” would make me so “hacky.”  As per usual, you introduce me to the greatest things in life.  And “unscripted scripted life” reels me in with its sentimentalism.  I'm a total sucker.  And completely guilty about it.
Photo credit: mystyle.com,  "Ruby" cast photo)

 I am grateful to finally know the Wilton method of life.  I truly believe that this knowledge will bring only great and sweet things into the near horizon. My cute friend and I decided to take a cake decorating class from an instructor who “gave up Wall Street for his passion.”  Ironically, cake boss runs classes like he most likely ran board meetings back in the day before the financial crisis.  As a result, we spent two hours last week fearing our frosting rosettes were going to fail his cost-benefit analyses and hearing him bark out things such as "I said ONE INCH fondant rolls! ONE INCH ONLY!"  I must confess, however, I really love that our instructor has such a great history.  I am confident that he is going to have the best stories! Besides, who else could compare salt and sugar measurements to the decline of the stock market, right? (and, K, “if you can imagine it, you can bake it!)   
     
     I also love that I saw Perez Hilton at Trader Joe's in his Land's End pajama pants and a jaunty "celebrity blogger swagger."  I think he was buying the same pizza dough I was (which means that Pee-rez is not super organic, my friends).  Which is why, despite my best efforts at delightful places such as Trader Joe's (which I really do love) I ended up at Taco Bell that night (which is an establishment I've come to appreciate since moving to the city despite the abundance of urban organics and pretty consumers). Thus Taco Bell is the jewel-among-gems because it renders all sorts of delightful people, things to see, and conversations to overhear all while downing thousands of calories of processed goodness.  It's like high school nights all over again!   
(photo credit: google images, Perez Hilton at the Hollywood Gossip)


Finally, I am thrilled for painted apartment walls!  Let’s just say that color-blind husband and indecisive wife attempting to choose paint colors has been quite the feat. (Remember when I once asked my husband what color my eyes were and he responded, "caramel apple cider."  In his defense, it was  Christmastime and we had stopped in to Starbucks for salted cider (as we don't drink coffee or the like.  Diet coke suffices. )).  Consequently, we finally settled on painting our entryway “lush” and our living room “storm."  So, after settling on paint colors (I felt I properly consulted HGTV Design Star) and asking husband for his assessment (“um, looks dark”) we slapped that stuff on our walls.  We were inspired by Mamadox, who recently painted her entire house in a single go (she is her son's mother).  I feel good about the results! And I really dig the man that painted them!

Before

"Storm" colored Benjamin Moore paint sitting atop "the hope for the Jets"

Almost finished

So, thank you NYC, pretty snowflakes, and all the wonderful people that live in this city.  You and pretty walls make me wonderfully “hacky!”

1 comment:

  1. You are so wonderful!! I can't wait to come and see the great new paint!

    ReplyDelete